Seitenanfang

Kirche „St. Nicolai"

Größte romanische Granitbasilika östlich der Elbe

Neben der Oberkirche bestimmte die Unterkirche Sankt Nicolai die Stadtgeschichte im 12. Jahrhundert. Der romanische Granitquaderbau wurde zwischen 1161 bis 1186 als Pfarrkirche der Unterstadt errichtet. Die Kirche ist eine kreuzförmige Pfeilerbasilika mit einem zweitürmigen Westbau.

Sankt Nicolai gilt als größte romanische Granitbasilika östlich der Elbe und ist damit ein besonderes Zeichen der Feldsteinbaukunst.

Die Ausstattung ist einfach und schlicht gehalten. Die Kanzel und das prunkvolle Epitaph wurden Anfang des 17. Jahrhunderts erschaffen. Der älteste Grabstein der „Unterkirche“ stammt aus dem Jahr 1321. Sie gehört zur Kirchengemeinde St. Nicolai und Unser Lieben Frauen.

MEHR INFORMATIONEN

Adresse: Kirche Sankt Nicolai, Oberstraße 1, 39288 Burg
Internet: www.kirche-in-burg.de
Telefon: 03921 – 944430
Öffnungszeiten: aufgrund von Bauarbeiten derzeit keine Besichtigung möglich

 

ENGLISH

CHURCH OF ST.NICOLAI
Largest Romanesque granite basilica east of the Elbe

Alongside the upper church, the lower church of St. Nicolai determined the history of the town in the 12th Century. The Romanesque granite ashlar building was erected between 1162 and 1186 as the parish church of the lower town. The church is a cruciform pillar basilica with a two-towered west building.

St. Nicolai is the largest Romanesque granite basilica east of the Elbe and is a special example of fieldstone architecture.

The furnishings are simple and unadorned. The pulpit and the magnificent epitaph were created at the beginning of the 17th century. The oldest gravestone in the "lower church" dates from 1321. It belongs to the parish of St. Nicolai and Unser Lieben Frauen.

INFORMATION
Address: Church of St. Nicolai, Oberstraße 1, 39288 Burg
Telephone: +49 3921 944430
Internet: www.kirche-in-burg.de
Opening hours: May - September from Mon. - Fri. 15:00 - 17:00 and Sat. 10:00-12:00 Church services take place every Sunday and public holidays at 10:00 am. Alternating in the church of St. Nicolai or in the church of Unser Lieben Frauen.